Wist. Rec and Fescal are holding a theme and variations competition forthcoming March, 2013 as part of Fescals’ ‘The Light Descends EP’ release. This release will contain two 3″CD’s; one of Fescal’s work and the other of various artists.
The purpose of the competition is to compile five variations of the track ‘Breaking Point (the theme)’ featured on CD one of the release, to be reworked under given instructions – the variations are simply a rework of the theme.
This competition is now closed
Under each variation is a short description of what both Wist. Rec and Fescal seek; a version of a theme, modified in melody, rhythm, harmony, or ornamentation, so as to present it in a new but still recognizable form.
1. Variation ‘Mock Sun’ = The instructions for this variation are to create a somewhat soporific effect, something tranquil, something that sit’s in the foreground, music intended as an unobtrusive accompaniment to an activity, such sitting in front of an open fire at home on cold winters night while the snowfalls outside. Musically we seek something minimal, no repetitive drones.
2. Variation ‘Noctilecent’ = The instructions for this variation are to create something dark; having an atmosphere of strangeness, something with richness or depth characterized by tragedy, unhappiness, or unpleasantness.
3. Variation ‘Shepard’s Delight’ = The instructions for this variation are to create something that pleases the senses or mind aesthetically, something enjoyable and pleasurable to the ear, something like a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.
4. Variation ‘Cirostratus’ = The instructions for this variation are to create something that gives the perception of traveling from one place to another, a feeling of progression as a movement or development toward a destination or a more advanced state. Moreover, something that holds the attention of (someone) to the exclusion of all else or so as to transfix them, something that absorbs all the attention or interest of the listener.
5. Variation ‘Iridecent’ = The instructions for this variation are to create something not written in any key or mode, something in an untidy and disorganized state or hard to make out or define; vague.
Rules and guidelines for the competition.
- No stems of the original are be provided, only a single stem and not as separate parts,
- All entries must be emailed to info[at]fescal[dot]info before the deadline of Dec 30th, 2012,
- The playing time of each variation must fall between 2 – 4 minutes,
- If the variation is chosen as one of the collection of recordings, each artist will receive two copies of the album,
- The decision to include the variation will be done by Wist Rec and Fescal,
- There are no restrictions on the amount of variations an artist can create, however, only one variation from each artists will be accepted for the release,
- An attractive submission will have the following:
- A short note about yourself (no more than 100 words),
- A short note about the production (no more than 100 words),
- All necessary links to your profile as an artist i.e Soundcloud, Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Website, Youtube, Vimeo etc
- 1 x audio file at 44.1khz 24 bit – no MP3s, FLAC files are acceptable.